Vogel Bros. Wisconsin
5460 Fen Oak Drive
Madison, WI 53718
Application Deadline: February 23, 2018
As an award-winning, multi-generational construction services company, Vogel Bros. Building Co. attributes its success and longevity to the values and beliefs that have been shared throughout the generations. We work with customers across the country, focusing on enhancing the lives of the people in the communities we serve. Our lean culture is embodied in our employees, always striving to embrace innovation and offer creative solutions in order to be the employer of choice as well as our customer’s champion.
Currently, we are seeking a motivated, detail-oriented student to join Vogel Bros.’ team as a Project Intern. The Project Intern offers support to the Project Managers, Project Engineers and Superintendents on a daily basis. This is an educational position, intended to provide hands-on experience in the construction industry, including field operations, scheduling, cost accounting, meeting management and general project leadership. The position includes full-time employment through the summer of 2018, with the opportunity for continued part-time employment through fall of 2018.
Candidates currently enrolled in a construction undergraduate program (such as Construction Management, Civil or Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related field) or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience, are encouraged to apply. Experience in AutoCad, Revit, ASTA, P3 scheduling, and BlueBeam is preferred.
Responsibilities of the Project Intern Position include but are not limited to:
- Carry out weekly job site visits to: Observe and assist the Project Superintendent; Update and maintain field drawings; Attend and maintain meeting minutes for team, progress and pre-installation meetings; Take photos and assemble monthly report information
- Perform administrative tasks, including filing, maintaining shop drawings, updating as-built drawings, and assisting with weekly and monthly reporting requirements
- Process, review and expedite shop drawings and submittals, and maintain logs accordingly
- Assist with creating and maintaining job schedules, including job tracking graphs / progress reports and short interval schedules, to measure job progress and help meet project goals
- Help with the bidding and buyout process, including reviewing project plans, specifications and technical documents, performing material quantity take-offs, and procuring buyout of small project supplies
- Communicate with both internal and external customers, subcontractors, suppliers, and design teams to coordinate project tasks and obtain project information, such as pricing for bids or construction bulletins
- Initiate, track and process project changes, such as Requests for Information (RFI’s), Construction Bulletins (CB’s), and subsequent cost changes
- Assist with Quality Control measures, including review of concrete test reports, building details, maturity testing, etc.
Candidates must possess:
- A valid driver’s license and means of transportation to travel to and from construction activities in a timely manner
- Moderate to advanced computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail, with strong organizational skills
- Ability to interface effectively with both field and office personnel
- Ability to develop and interpret schedules
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and perform effectively despite sudden deadline and priority changes
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with willingness and ability to accept responsibility, work as a team player, and take initiative to improve personal and interpersonal skills
- Office: Indoor, temperature-controlled environment
- Job Sites: Exposure to heat, cold, rain, and other outdoor weather conditions; Moderate to loud noise levels; Walking surfaces that may be uneven and affected by weather and construction conditions
Our Employment Policy
Vogel Bros. Building Co. is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all employees. It is our policy to seek and employ the best qualified personnel in all positions and to ensure equal opportunity for employment to all individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, veteran disability, national origin, ancestry and/or any other discriminatory basis prohibited by state or federal law. The Company will ensure that all personnel actions such as compensation, benefits, transfers, hiring, promotions, layoffs, return from layoffs, demotions, dismissals, recruitment, selection for training, including apprenticeship, will be administered in a manner consistent with the Company’s commitment to equal employment for all individuals.