By Vogel Bros. Safety Department
National Fire Prevention Week (NFPW) strives to bring heightened awareness to the importance of fire safety and prevention through resources, training and a national dialogue. Did you know that in the event of a fire, mere seconds can mean the difference between a safe escape and a tragedy? In a typical fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely. That leaves very little time to react and even less time for errors.
Vogel Bros. believes people are the key to our success. And regardless whether they’re at home or at work, we want our employees to have the education and tools they need to be safe. That’s why – as part of NFPW’s national campaign – we educated employees on three basic but essential steps to fire safety:
- LOOK for places a fire could start. Take a good look around. Identify and address potential fire hazards.
- LISTEN for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could only have minutes to escape safely once the alarm sounds.
- LEARN what to do in case of a fire.
Did you know that…
- The risk of a nonfatal fire injury is highest for those between the ages of 20 and 49?
- Children under age 5 and adults over 65 are at the highest risk for injury or death in a fire?
These staggering statistics remind us how important it is for everyone – regardless of age – to make sure they understand how to stay safe in case of a fire. The National Fire Protection Association provides a variety of videos, games, activity sheets, resources and tips for all ages to learn about fire safety. We encourage all staff to check out these fire safety resources; and as a company who cares about and is invested in the well-being of our customers and communities, we encourage you to do the same.