The Goodman Community Center (GCC) needed additional space to expand their middle and high school teen programs. Through the generosity of a donor, GCC purchased the Brass Works building across from their current center, and begin a renovation/addition to better suit their needs. The Brass Works building was originally built in 1918 and has underwent several additions through to 1959. GCC and the architect worked together to identify areas suitable for both new construction and adaptive re-use. The result was renovating 8,700 sq ft of the oldest manufacturing areas into large multi-purpose rooms, and constructing a 21,300 sq ft addition for classroom and office space.
It was important to honor and preserve the historic portion of the existing structure, while integrating an addition that would meet the space needs of the Center. The original 1918 brick walls were exposed and the original roof structure of segmental-arched trusses were preserved. Barrel vaulted arches in the two large multipurpose areas were reinforced and create an uplifting and bright space.
The Center tripled their space, and can now better prepare more teens for employment, careers and college; provide hands-on experiences with STEM and the arts; serve more children and parents with quality after-school and early childhood education programs; and engage more of the community with larger events and activities.