By Vogel Bros. Safety Department

The start of the new year means new resolutions. But did you know that about 40% of people who make resolutions give up on them by February? While the reasons behind abandoning the resolutions are vast, one way to make sure you’re part of the other 60% is by making your resolutions SMART.

Oftentimes resolutions and goals fail because there’s no realistic plan to achieve them. That’s where SMART goals come into play. SMART stands for specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. SMART goals help provide the clarity and focus required to get the most out of your efforts and keep you on track for success. Vogel Bros. uses SMART to help accomplish personal and professional development goals. But it can also be used to make your resolutions a reality.

Let’s say your new year’s resolution was to make 2019 a healthier year by exercising and losing weight. If your goal is vague like this, how do you know when (or if) you achieved it? Here’s how you can make that resolution SMART:

Specific: Don’t just say, “I want to lose weight.” Be specific what you want to do, how you want to do it, and by when. For example: “I want to lose ten pounds in the next two months by eating healthier, going for more walks, and signing up for an exercise class.”

Measurable: Give yourself ways to quantify and track your progress. This will help make sure you’re on target to meet your goal and allow you opportunities to adjust.  If your plan is to lose ten pounds in the next two months, then in one month you will want to have lost 5 pounds.

Achievable: Having too grand of a goal in a too soon amount of time can leave you feeling disappointed. Set goals that stretch you, but are not impossible. Wanting to lose ten pounds in two days is not realistic (or healthy – or safe); but losing ten pounds in two months is a realistic, achievable goal.

Relevant: Did you set the goal for the right reasons? Does it make sense? Is it set by you (and not by someone else)? Your doctor suggesting you lose weight may not be a motivator. Instead, pick a resolution that is meaningful and inspiring to you such as “I want to run a 5k with my spouse this year.”

Time-Bound: Make sure you have an end date in mind so that you can track your progress. Having a beginning and an end allows you to see what you’ve done and if it was effective or not. It’ll help you readjust your goal throughout the process and give you ownership over ultimately achieving it.

 If you made a resolution this year, we hope it’s going well. But if your resolution has come to a standstill, this information can help you get back on track; whatever your new year’s resolution may be!